Monday, July 30, 2012

Black Bean Burrito Bake

Trying to transition the family away from meat, while still having an adequate source of protein for all of the growing bodies in my home, I find myself getting re-acquainted with black beans.


Picture credit: Google Images





We are are also trying to reduce the amount of dining-out that we do.  Really, it's just so much easier to drive down the road to pick up take-out than it is to have to cook something.  How lazy does that sound, right? I'm proud to say that today was a no-spend day and that I made all of our meals at home.  I can imagine I'm probably getting lots of eye-rolls from people who eat at home all the time.  I work full time (estimated 37 hours a week) and go to school full time (estimated 40 hours a week), add in sleeping (I aim for at least 7 hours in a 24 hour period - even if it isn't always at once, or always at night since I work the night shift), spending time with the kids, spending time with the hubby, cleaning, laundry, trying to exercise, paying bills, etc - well, I start to want to outsource something, and providing food for the family is an easy thing to outsource.  

Tonight, I made a Black Bean Burrito Bake.  I had the recipe for a while, but I had to tweak it to make it something we'd all like, since I am not a short-order chef. 

Ingredients: 
1/2 c. sour cream
2 cans black beans
1 bag frozen corn
12 flour tortillas 
2 c. salsa
Shredded cheese

1.  I mixed some taco seasoning in with the sour cream and set that aside while I turned the oven on bake 350 degrees.

2.  After rinsing the beans (some day I'll learn to soak beans and not use cans), I pureed one of the cans and then added both cans to a bowl (not the sour cream bowl).

3.  To the bean bowl, I added the frozen corn (which hubby asked me to leave out next time - he has digestive issues and corn does mean things to him) and then stirred the sour cream mixture in.  

4.  Add a scoop of filling into the middle of each tortilla, sprinkle with some cheese, roll up, and place seam down in a greased baking dish.  I like mine fat and had two different baking dishes for a total of 12 burritos.

4.  Pour salsa over the top of the burritos and cover with more shredded cheese.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 minutes.  Uncover and bake another couple of minutes to make sure the cheese on top is all melty. 

I served this with some homemade corn bread muffins and some sour cream on the side.  

Everyone loved it, except for the request to ditch the corn next time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment