Thursday, July 19, 2012

3 Grad School Classes = 45 Assignments on the Calendar

This semester started July 9 and ends on September 21.

During this time, I have 45 assignments on my calendar.  These assignments include graded assignments such as papers, open book quizzes and exams.  Also included on this list, so that I would not forget to watch the recordings for any sessions that I might miss are the BBCs - BlackBoard Collaborate Sessions, which take the place of a conventional classroom, allowing us to all watch and hear the instructor.  The BBCs are recorded which is a blessing for someone like myself who might be either working or sleeping during "class" time.  There is no penalty for not showing up live.

Not included on this list are the steps to completion for projects.  That would be things like my contribution to the study team for Pathophysiology, or the weekly progress check-in with my Learning Team partner for The Role of Midwifery, or my almost daily emails with my Learning Team partners for Theories.  



I'm a check-list person.  And I'm a very visually-gratifying person.  I enjoy folding laundry and washing dishes by hand because I like to see evidence of my progress through a task.  Which brings me to the above color-coded assignment sheet.  Each class is given a color and the rows are for due date, assignment, class, date turned in, and grade.  I like looking over my shoulder to see where I am at and having a visual reminder of what I need to be working on to help me prioritize. 




I think the hardest part of distance-learning for me so far is the amount of time I spend on my computer typing notes, drafts, etc.  I'm an "outside" person and try to do as much away from the computer as possible when the kids are up.  As soon as they go to bed, I (*ahem*) settle the husband down for the night, and lock myself into my study room with some water and healthy-ish snacks.


A little something to keep me motivated, and because my husband despises the work "can't"...

Photo credit: Pinterest




No comments:

Post a Comment