Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yikes! That's a heckuva gain!

Happy Wednesday! That means, like it or not, I'm getting on my scale to see how I did for the past 7 days. Of course, just a couple of days ago I was filled full of IV fluids and gaterade and so I knew I would see no negative changes. I should snap another picture of my feet now that I have been up and about for the day, my toes look like sausages and I'm hoping to pee out most of this fluid through-out the day today. Anyhow...a 1.6 pound gain won't make me cry after all I've been through this week. I probably should not have gotten on the scale at all, but eh, curiosity was killing me. I was 152 on the hospital scale, so maybe things are moving back down? Or maybe I'm just really reaching here.

My RAK (Random Acts of Kindness) challenge last week was fun! I'd love to hear about other's experiences with being either the giver or the recipient of RAKs. I found myself NOT taking the parking spot closest to the door of the store we were going to, so that another family could. I helped an elderly man unload his grocery cart on the belt the other day at Publix. And I tipped the young man that served us at my daughter's birthday dinner out - twice what the standard amount because he was so sweet. I realize some of these things are things that most people would have ordinarily done anyway. But I will confess one of my shortcomings is that I tend to live in my own little bubble not really noticing when others around me are needing something when I am working on a mission. Take the grocery store for example, I'm pretty good at remembering to keep my cart to one side and all that. But do I notice the person down the aisle struggling to reach the muffin mix on the top shelf? Not really, I'm busy looking at my salad dressing for hidden HFCS. Did it take more time keep an eye out for others? Nothing too terribly significant?

I had a few opportunities to talk to the kids about RAKs. When we would see somebody drop something (for example, someone dropped money last week in Target), we would talk about what the right thing is to do. Sometimes it's not easy, and sometimes it's not very convenient, but what do we think God would want us to do?

So, do I have a challenge for this week? I sure do...

Vitamin D is a hot topic lately. My new probiotics provide 125% the RDA for Vitamin D - which is important because I don't drink milk. However, I also think good old fashion skin absorption of Vitamin D should not be overlooked or replaced by oral supplementation, and so without further adieu...

My challenge for the next 7 days is to soak up some rays for 20 minutes each day. Who's ready for some mood-boosting sun power? Let's not over-do it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment