Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Professional Nursing Portfolio

Hey nurses! If you don't already have one, you should really put together a Professional Portfolio. I find it is extremely helpful to keep all of my professional items together in one area. This helps keep my stuff from looking like this...

and looking more professional!

I use my portfolio when I meet with my leaders for my annual review. It helps to show the story of who I am as a nurse and why I'm an asset to the organization. My portfolio is a crisp white binder with 5 divided areas -

1. Annual Requirements
- In this tab, I keep all of my professional and hospital required annual requirements. This came in handy just the other day, when the hospital misplaced my annual TB test readings. I was able to fax them the results when I got home from work that day. In this tab I keep...
* nursing license
* CPR card
* NRP card
* Mask-fit test results
* TB test results
* Most current evaluation - a word about this. Be sure to actually look at this from time to time. If your goal at the end of your evaluation (and everyone needs a goal!) was to join a unit-based committee or obtain CEUs with a focus in your area...you should be looking at those goals and making them happen before your next review.

2. Resume
- You should always have an update resume on hand in both paper and electronic forms. You never know when the opportunity of a lifetime will knock and you want to be prepared. In this tab I keep...
* updated resume
* a copy of the job descriptions from the last 3 jobs I've had. Why? Well, your resume as well as cover letter can and should be tweaked with the information that most pertains to the position you are applying for. For example, if you want to manage a department, you would highlight the management tasks you were responsible for on your previous job descriptions. Remember, your resume should be close to one page, two pages max. This is for a resume, not a CV. At some point I'll create a CV, it's just not necessary for the type of work I have been doing. Many other professions like to throw the title "CV" around, but unless you have given talks, been published or are professional recognized in research, then a true CV is unnecessary in this line of work.
* copy of your diploma

3. Volunteer Work
- Many industries are now requesting volunteer work from their employees that wish to advance in the professional practice model. My volunteer work tab includes thank-you letters from classrooms that I've taught handwashing to, my letters from volunteering with breastfeeding mothers in Alaska, as well as proof of being a medic at some local road races. Opportunities are endless, and the ability to volunteer is so easy these days.

4. CEU's/Conferences/Professional Organization Memberships
This is pretty self explanatory. You want to be well-rounded on your continuing education. Yes, you can get all your CEUs online these days, but you'll want to check to ensure your state will recognize online CEUs. I do a mix of on-line, in-hospital and community education. Our competing hospital has some great one-day conferences with nationally recognized speakers, and it has been nice to be able to rub elbows with other professionals.
* CEU certificates
* Conference flyers, as well as certificate of attendance
* Professional Organization card, as well as printed Mission Statement from their website.

5. Kudos and Special Moments
Our hospital uses a system-wide complement card for individual recognition. These can be submitted by anyone - employees or patients alike. I keep these in this tab. I also keep any pictures that family members give me of their child, and I make a quick note of why it was significant. I keep funeral notices and thank you cards from families. I keep emails from my boss that recognize my good work. And pictures that have been taken of the nursing staff for fun. This is the section of your portfolio that is more for you than for anyone. It's the part you turn to to remember why you do the things you do. It can also be used to show your manager a story or two of difficult patient cases that you successfully managed.




No comments:

Post a Comment