Thursday, January 27, 2011

One Month until the Disney Princess Half Marathon 2011!

Oh.my.goodness. Really, I do know that 1/2 marathon = 13.1 miles. I'm pretty good with the .1 miles, but I'm nervous about the 13 miles! I need to maintain a 16 min per mile pace, or I will be swooped up by the sweepers. Please tell me I won't be chanting "sweeper no sweeping, sweeper, no sweeping!". Oh, wait, that's Nick, Jr (formerly known as the cute Noggin', but then became Nick, Jr, so that my kids can feel cooler, I guess).

Anyhow, I have been listening to Jeff Galloway's podcasts and have decided to do the entire race in 1 min walk/1min run intervals. I'm sure that sounds crazy to some, but it puts me at a 12 min/mile pace and that will allow me to stop for character pictures, use the port-o-potty (dude, 3 babies in 3 years, I should be running in a depends), and still finish the race in an upright position with a smile on my face. I outright ran 5 miles a few weeks ago and was really tired, and slowing down towards the end. However, when I did the 1/1 last week doing those same 5 miles, I didn't want to stop when it was stop time, I felt great.

I'm part of the WISH group on a list-serve/on-line community dedicated to chatting about all things Disney and they inspire me with their motto:

DLF>DNF>>DNS

Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start

WISH gave me the courage to start.

And lime green is WISH's signature color, just in case you see it along the run. I won't be in lime green, but I'll post about my outfit another time.

The point of this post (yes, there really is one) is that one month from tonight, I'll be going to bed and waking up to run a half marathon! We are down to crunch time. I just wrote out the last month of training miles on my calendar. And now, I'm doing something I've tried to do many times before - I'm giving up soda. I know it's evil, I know it uses too many WW points, and I know I don't need the sugar with diabetes in my family. But it is yummy, and it's my comfort food. Not anymore. I've been thinking about this for a few weeks, but decided I better wait until after my "monthly gift" since I'm already grumpy enough without a sugar/caffeine withdrawal, too.

Wish me luck! Pray for my family, cause I'm sure to be grumpy.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to do great Mary! At least you have port-o-potties, I had to run off the road into the bushes while doing the run the rock-lol. It wasn't too bad actually, only made 2 stops:) Sounds like this is going to be a really fun half for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I totally agree, dead last is much better than did not finish or even start. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete